Boring Useless Facts about Me:

My photo
I'm just a guy trying to follow Jesus as best as I know how. I do this with a group of my best friends as we seek to understand God's purpose for our lives and then bring about a reality of heaven in the world we live in.

Thursday, February 12, 2009

Caribou Community

So, I'm sitting in Caribou Coffee waiting to start a meeting, and none of the other guys are here yet.  For those of you who hate big chain stores, sorry, I didn't choose the place!  I've never been to this particular place, and it's very nice.  I remember coming here when it was a Burger King a long time ago. . .

I'm sitting here, kinda people watching, and I notice that in a room full of people, some are completely isolated, and some are completely engrossed in what I would call authentic community.  There are the people obsessed with their computers (apparently I'm part of that at the moment!), and there are friends talking over coffee and breakfast food.  Of course, there is also that annoying lady who talks way too loud and everyone wishes would leave!  There are nice comfortable chairs, and then there are the wooden chairs around too small tables.  It has a very earthy feel, and it makes me think of a family on vacation in a lodge in the Colorado Rockies.

I can't help but think this is like our families, and even like our simple church communities filled with different personalities, some loud some quiet, some social and some private.  I'm pretty sure I'm the one who talks too much (and sometimes too loudly).  In the end, though, we fit together.  We work.  We live in a beautiful blend of mess and differences and it feels like community.  I sure hope you have a community to be part of.  If you don't, feel free to check out this website, it's part of a group of simple churches that I am part of.  It feels so great to be part of something that matters, and I pray that you have that too.