Boring Useless Facts about Me:

My photo
I'm just a guy trying to follow Jesus as best as I know how. I do this with a group of my best friends as we seek to understand God's purpose for our lives and then bring about a reality of heaven in the world we live in.

Thursday, June 12, 2008

Living in the Now


Okay, so I know this will probably be a bit different than you would imagine from the title, but I wonder what Jesus would be doing if He were living right now. I ask this question because my sole purpose in life is to try and live the life He intended for me to live. I think when most people answer that question is comes back to having something to do with the organized church. Not so much for me.
I want to be more about living as I see Jesus lived, getting in the midst of the arguments of the day, helping those who need it, and certainly by living and loving those who are close to me. One of the main things that has been on my mind lately is about what Jesus taught and spoke about. It seems most of it wasn't about the "bible", or even the Torah that they had back then. It seems to me that He spent a lot of time tackling the big issues of the day like taxes, govornment oppression, how to treat others, and the religious system of the day.
I wonder what it would be like if we, as a Church (notice the capital C), decided to think about our govornment and our taxes and how our political system works in the context of what is best for the nation and even the world. I wonder if we quit paying people (lobbyists) to do our fighting for us, and instead cared enough to get involved oursleves, what would happen? I wonder what would change if we were as concerned about homelessness and hunger as we were with how to spend our stimulus checks on vacation?
I think it's great to spend time in the bible, reading and learning about what God intended for us. I think there are great minds that do this all the time, and I love to hear them speak and enlighten me as to the depth and richness of the bible. However, if that doesn't change me and my life, if it doesn't compel me to look deeper in the systems around me and question, then what good is it? If we decide to blindly support our govornment based on one scripture, but then don't question certain oppressive practices. . .are we really living like Jesus?
This is a lingering thought for me. . .so I'm sure I'll have more coming soon. . .

Phatkat ><>

1 comment:

Andy-Bob said...

WHAT!?!?!?! You mean we as Christians should actually be involved with the world around us?

Hey I like the idea of talking about those "things" more often rather than solely on the Bible.