Boring Useless Facts about Me:

My photo
I'm just a guy trying to follow Jesus as best as I know how. I do this with a group of my best friends as we seek to understand God's purpose for our lives and then bring about a reality of heaven in the world we live in.

Monday, January 5, 2009

Religion vs. Relationship

So, I've been reading this book (click the title for a link to it) and it has some great things to say.  Here's a quote:

A lot of people are not living life fully alive because they have a religion with Jesus.  To them, it's all about believing and behaving.  Their theology is lined up right and their actions are mostly right, and so they feel like they're basically pleasing God, and they're better than most of the people around, and someday they'll probably get into heaven.  But deep inside they're empty.  The one thing their life is missing is life, because Jesus came to give life, but it doesn't come through religion.  His ultimate goal isn't to get people to believe and behave.  And so, while others experience and adventure with Jesus, they just attend church.
"I Became A Christian and all I Got Was This Lousy T-Shirt" by Vince Antonucci

To be honest, I like blogging because I can share my thoughts and get feedback from others.  This time, I'm not sure I can share any thoughts beyond what the author said.  I love this passage, and hope that it makes you think about what your life is really about.  If you choose to follow Jesus, are you really experiencing life?  Do you just follow a religion?  If following Jesus doesn't make a true difference in your life, then why do it?  
  Maybe that last statement will take some people off guard, but I truly do believe in the life changing message of Jesus.  I know that when I truly follow Him, I experience life beyond what I was capable of on my own.  I hope and pray that you are able to find that as well.

No comments: